Monday, October 8, 2012

31 for 21: DAY 8 :: "Times they are a changin"

Times are changing.  Because of advances in technology and medicine, individuals with Down syndrome (in addition to many other genetic disorders) now live longer, healthier, and fuller lives. 

Down Syndrome Fact of the Day #8:

As many as 80 percent of adults with Down syndrome live to age 65, and many live longer.

The truth is, however, we never know how long any of us will live.  Something could happen tomorrow and change everything.  My father didn't have Down syndrome, but he did have cancer, and it took his life at the early age of 54. 

Given that the life expectancy for the average male is currently around 76 (I think), age 65 does seem a little young.  But, I refuse to dwell on this part of the equation.  I dwell on the fact that medicine and technology continue to advance, and that my boy will have more chances than ever to prosper in the coming years.  I dwell on the fact that I, like anyone, should relish every single day we have with our loved ones.  I believe that there is a reason we are all put here on this Earth, and I especially believe that about my dear son Jack.  Big things are coming in your lifetime, my sweet boy, I just know it!

You will always be my HERO, at any age!

No comments:

Post a Comment