Tuesday, October 16, 2012

31 for 21: DAY 16 :: Perspective

When parents learn that their baby has Down syndrome, they react in a number of ways.  Some cry, some pray, some are completely "okay" with it.  Regardless of the reaction and regardless of how much a parent LOVES their baby with Down syndrome, I think everyone goes through a little bit of "Why me?".  And, in times of particular stress, I feel that it is pretty normal for some parents to wonder, "What did I do to deserve this?"  I would be lying if I said I hadn't wondered these things myself from time to time. 

Down Syndrome Fact of the Day #16:

There is no known way to prevent the Down syndrome, and nothing that a parent did or did not do during the pregnancy causes a baby to have Down syndrome.

The more time I have with Jack, the more I realize that Down syndrome isn't something that happened to me; it is something that happened for me.  And, I believe it happened for a reason.

Before Jack was born, I was way more impatient and intolerant than I am now.  I judged a little too quickly, and I hastened through life without recognizing the beauty in the small moments. 

I needed the baby I was given, to give me a newer and brighter perspective on life that I had been unknowingly lacking all along.

Ray of sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment