Wednesday, October 17, 2012

31 for 21: DAY 17 :: Family Traits

Individuals with Down syndrome often share some common physical traits, but they do not all look alike.  Yes, they each have three 21st chromosomes, but ALL of their chromosomes (even the extra one) are made up of genetic material they have inherited from their parents. 

Down Syndrome Fact of the Day #17:

Despite physical similiarities, individuals with Down syndrome look more like their parents than they look like other people with Down syndrome.

A few of the common physical traits of Down syndrome are low muscle tone, flattened nasal bridge, small stature, an upward slant to the eyes, and a single deep crease across the center of the palm.  Every person with Down syndrome is a unique individual and may possess these characteristics to different degrees or not at all.

When Jack was born, my mom and sisters could not get over how much he looked like me when I was a baby.  Yes, Jack does have a single palmar crease and decreased muscle tone, both characteristics of Ds, but he also got my blonde hair (okay, well I used to be blonde!), my blue eyes, and my small nasal bridge.  I definitely see quite a bit of Robert in Jack as well (particularly in his bright smile :), but I am mostly told told by others that he "looks just like his Mommy".  :)

Down syndrome or no Down syndrome, it is apparent who his parents are. 
Jack may have gotten an extra chromosome when he was conceived,
but ALL 47 of them are from US!!!

Here is a photo of me with my dog, when I was about Jack's age

Can you see the resemblance?


1 comment: